Madison Bumgarner8217s Many Times Throug

Wszystkie inne dyskusje.
jackky

Madison Bumgarner8217s Many Times Throug

Post autor: jackky » 16 sie 2017, o 06:34

If youve been consuming baseball analysis for just about any meaningful length of time, TTO may come as a particularly familiar acronym. It stands for Three True Outcomes walks, strikeouts, and dingers and for me, personally, it makes me think of Adam Dunn. Also it makes me think of baseball writing eight or 10 years ago, when a minimum of I had been starting to enter into my own. But TTO can and does also are a symbol of another thing, something weve been talking and reading about a great deal in the last several weeks Times Through the Order. As with, the times-through-the-order penalty, that describes how starting pitchers dwindle effective over the course of a game. Those things youve find out about how Starter X remained in too long by his manager? The criticisms are mostly founded upon the idea that pitchers get tired and over-exposed.
Nike Air Max 2017 Shoes Those are tricky things to separate. It stands to reason pitchers get worse simply because they get more tired. Additionally, it makes sense pitchers worsen as their opponents have more and more acquainted with the pitches being thrown. You think about looks, and whatnot. We all know theres a TTO penalty during a game. And if any one of it must use familiarity, then it seems like there ought be also a TTO penalty within a series.
A few weeks ago I was talking to Brandon McCarthy while I was working on something for the upcoming Hardball Times Annual. At one point he started referring to Zack Greinke, contributing to how he is able to be a difficult guy to organize for because hell vary his approaches game to game. Like, one game, he might throw a ton of sliders, after which hitters will gear up for the slider in the next game, and in that game he might throw as little as zero sliders. Greinke, therefore, is believed to combine Nike Cortez Unisex Shoes some misconception quickly, even when facing a different opponent. Maybe hes unusual in connection with this, and maybe hes not. Its one players perspective.
Six days ago, Madison Bumgarner designed a start from the Royals, and that he went seven innings. He was good. Sunday he earned another start, also against the Royals, and that he went nine innings. He was good. He threw a complete-game shutout! Which despite the Royals seeing him for that second time in a week. I dont are conscious of any research toward this end, however i wonder if starters who make multiple starts inside a series perform worse the second time around. The next time around, theyve already been recently seen, and that strikes me as overlapping some using the TTO-penalty concerns.
Bumgarner, obviously, suffered from nothing as he cruised from beginning to end. Or maybe the Royals were getting better looks and Bumgarner just got outs anyway, I dont know. But Bumgarner, in his begin, faced 26 batters. Sunday, he faced 31. Hes had seven showdowns each against Alcides Escobar, Lorenzo Cain, Alex Gordon, and Eric Hosmer. I had been interested to see if Bumgarner would do anything differently start to start. Sure enough, he approached the Royals like a different pitcher in Game 5. Oh, he still approached them such as the dominant form of Madison Bumgarner, but pitch-to-pitch, at-bat-to-at-bat, Bumgarner made the Royals question the value of their recent matchup history.
Put more Nike Zoom Winflo 2 Shoes simply: Bumgarner did various things. Neverthele s the Royals meant to study from his Game 1 attack, he preemptively countered that by adjusting his Game 5 attack. Let us learn from our eyes, and from Brooks Baseball. A table, now, of some fastball rates:
StartRHB, 1st PitchRHB, 2 StrikesLHB, 1st PitchLHB, 2 StrikesGame 173%58%82%50%Game 550%35%62%43%The last column doesnt let you know much, however the other columns tell you more. Sunday, Bumgarner attacked fewer righties with fastballs. He attacked fewer lefties with fastballs. He attempted to put righties away with fastballs le s often. One of Bumgarners recent trends continues to be a rise in his four-seam fastball rate, as hes shifted from his slider a bit. Sunday, Bumgarner threw 44% fastballs. A week ago, he threw 58%. That 44% is Bumgarners lowest single-game rate since August 8, when he facedthe Royals, and threw 34% fastballs. So the Royals have experienced three versions of the guy in three starts in three months.
Now lets consider overall pitch locations. I define Inside as inner third or beyond, and I define Way Up as over the upper threshold from the PITCHf/x strike zone.
StartRHB, InsideRHB, Way UpLHB, InsideLHB, Way UpGame 142%23%20%0%Game 525%8%15%13%Bumgarner spent more time away against righties, and more time down. The high fastball didnt disappear, though, as he started using it against lefties instead. In Game 1, Bumgarner attacked righties down and up. In Game 5, he would be a much more side-to-side. This really is all tough to demonstrate in a few images, so lets just consider a few examples. Bumgarners first matchup with Lorenzo Cain, from Game 1:
And exactly the same, from Game 5:
Different sides of the plate, different pitches. In the Game 1 example, Bumgarner began with three fastballs, then threw four of five non-fastballs. Hanging around 5 example, youve had a fastball away, a fastball down and away, a cutter down and away, and a fastball down and away. Cain reached both in plate appearances, but in one he got hit and in the other Nike Air Shoes his contact was poor.
And heres Bumgarners first matchup with Mike Moustakas, from Game 1:
And from Game 5:
In the Game 1 example, Moustakas saw three cutters, down and away, out of the zone. In the Game 5 example, he saw a cutter high and tight, and three cutters away, in the zone. Bumgarner has talked about how hell add and subtract from the pitch, utilizing it very differently depending on the circumstances, and against Moustakas it wasnt used just as a chase pitch. Although within the seventh inning, Bumgarner moved a couple of those cutters several inches further away, and Moustakas offered by both.
It could be challenging discu s adjustments game to game, because we dont know how much is deliberate, and each single plate appearance is its own unique competition. But its clear, at least, that Bumgarner finished up pitching differently on Sunday. I didnt even point out that he threw a few more changeups than usual. His second time through the order Sunday, he threw 33% curveballs; no other time did he break 21%, and no other time did he break 15%. The cutter was featured more prominently Sunday, even though Bumgarner might certainly be accomplished for 2014, theres the chance Nike Air Max 1 Men Shoes he returns from the bullpen in a Game 7. And Im unsure what the Royals could reasonably expect.
I dont know what the Royals were hoping to find throughout Game 5. All I know is that they didnt have it. Probably were built with a lot to do with the guy on the mound, Im gue sing.

ODPOWIEDZ